Erratum: In the original posting below, I stated that under the Ryan plan, seniors would receive $6,000 voucher to help with purchasing insurance. This is incorrect. The correct figure is $8,000 for the year or roughly $666 per month to pay your premiums, co-pays and pharmacy charges.
Link to full map of all Congressional reps who voted on the Ryan plan below. List of California reps who voted to abolish Medicare at bottom of posting.
As this Foundation has noted before, Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget plan calls for abolishing Medicare to all those under the age of 55 and handing your taxpayer money over to private corporations. What happens to all the money you have been paying into Medicare for the past 30+ years of your working lives? Answer is you get nothing in return.
This Foundation began in part because of the way my husband, who has Progressive-Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis, was treated by his insurance carrier, CIGNA, a private, for-profit corporation with a long and terrible history of denying claims to their sick, premium paying customers–one such denial resulted in the death of 17 year old Nataline Sarkisyan.
Rep. Ryan and all his GOP friends want to hand you a voucher for $6,000 and tell you to go and find a company, like CIGNA, who will insure you at the age of 65, for that amount of money–while at the same time they, the GOP, are trying to undo the Affordable Care Act that will prevent insurance companies from denying your claims. Doesn’t make one bit of sense, does it?
If you have Multiple Sclerosis or any other life-altering disease, you know how far $6,000 will get you. If you have MS, that’s the cost of your disease modifying drugs for just one month!
Call your representative if they voted to abolish Medicare. Tell them forget trying to get re-elected since they don’t seem to be serving the American public but their corporate paymasters instead. Contact information is embedded in each link and the full map of how Congress voted can be found at the New York Times. It’s time this country went to a single payer system. Medicare for Everyone, cradle to grave.
Call and be heard. It’s your money that pays for Medicare and pays for Congressional salaries. Remember, they work for us.
Your California Congressional Representatives who voted to abolish Medicare and hand your money over to private corporations:
1. Rep. Herger, Walter [R-CA2] voted to abolish Medicare.
2. Rep. Lungren, Daniel [R-CA3] voted to abolish Medicare.
3. Rep. McClintock, Tom [R-CA4] voted to abolish Medicare.
4. Rep. Denham, Jeff [R-CA19] voted to abolish Medicare.
5. Rep. Nunes, Devin [R-CA21] voted to abolish Medicare.
6. Rep. McCarthy, Kevin [R-CA22] voted to abolish Medicare.
7. Rep. Gallegly, Elton [R-CA24] voted to abolish Medicare.
8. Rep. McKeon, Howard [R-CA25] voted to abolish Medicare.
9. Rep. Dreier, David [R-CA26] voted to abolish Medicare.
10. Rep. Royce, Edward [R-CA40] voted to abolish Medicare.
11. Rep. Lewis, Jerry [R-CA41] voted to abolish Medicare.
12. Rep. Miller, Gary [R-CA42] voted to abolish Medicare.
13. Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA44] voted to abolish Medicare.
14. Rep. Bono Mack, Mary [R-CA45] voted to abolish Medicare.
15. Rep. Rohrabacher, Dana [R-CA46] voted to abolish Medicare.
16. Rep. Campbell, John [R-CA48] voted to abolish Medicare.
17. Rep. Issa, Darrell [R-CA49] voted to abolish Medicare.
18. Rep. Bilbray, Brian [R-CA50] voted to abolish Medicare.
19. Rep. Hunter, Duncan [R-CA52] voted to abolish Medicare.